What is ACS Reagent Chemicals?
The ACS Committee on Analytical Reagents sets purity specifications for almost 500 reagent chemicals and over 500 standard-grade reference materials. These specifications have become the de facto standards for chemicals used in many high-purity applications, with agencies like the US EPA and ASTM referencing these specifications and methods. In addition to detailing these specifications, ACS Reagent Chemicals provides general physical properties and analytical uses for all reagent chemicals as well as guidelines for standard analytical methods.
The Eleventh Edition of Reagent Chemicals, originally released in print, became the version of record in June 2016. In January 2017, the online edition based on the Eleventh Edition became available, and this version reflects the content of the Eleventh Edition. The first round of supplements and updates were also published online and will soon be incorporated into the content of the online edition. All content is under regular review by the Committee, and additions and updates to existing content will be integrated in the online version beginning in 2017. New mechanisms are being added for capturing the historic record moving forward.
Who benefits from access?
Academic and research institutions gain access to standards that are utilized by top organizations—the US EPA and US Pharmacopeia, for example—for analytical procedures. Students also benefit from access to easy-to-follow methods and highlighted handling instructions for chemicals. They also can easily find physical constants, equations, and other data in the monographs for each chemical.
Industry professionals use ACS Reagent Chemicals to check that reference materials are an acceptable purity for the test being performed and ensure that starting materials are high enough purity for product synthesis. Manufacturers use ACS Reagent Chemicals to ensure that their inventory of analytical and Reagent Grade chemicals meet the Committee’s standards for purity.
What’s new for 2017?
The content of the new online edition is delivered on the same platform as ACS journals, providing a consistent experience for users. Additional benefits include:
- Better user interface paired with expanded accessibility, including mobile friendliness, helps readers find the information they need easily from wherever they are.
- DOIs for each monograph and method.
- All content is under regular review by the committee, with regular online additions and updates starting in 2017.
- Each monograph will show a summary of historic changes moving forward, giving the reader full awareness of changes and a link to prior versions.
- Internal reference are hotlinked, helping the reader to quickly find all the information they need.
- HTML and printable PDF formats help readers use the content in the format that is most convenient for them.
- Usage, denials, and abstract data at the chapter level help librarians track utilization.