Each year, we set aside a week in October to reach out and share positive messages about the transformative power of chemistry. Welcome to Chemistry Week 2016! This year’s theme is “Solving Mysteries Through Chemistry.”
How can you get involved? It’s easy! Chemistry Week is all about sharing your love of chemistry with others, with an emphasis on local action. Local sections of ACS, along with businesses, schools and individual are all encourages to either organize or join in with community event that promote the value of chemistry.
Check out these fun examples of using chemistry to solve mysteries:
- Learn how lipstick analysis is helping catch criminals.
- Watch how chemistry is used to figure out the age of fingerprints at a crime scene.
- Discover how chemistry can help spot art forgeries.
Check out these resources for joining in the celebration:
- Find a local event near you.
- Get your workplace involved.
- Organize a scavenger hunt.
- Read about “Solving Mysteries Through Chemistry” in C&EN.
- Share Celebrating Chemistry, filled with kid-friendly, hands-on activities for kids in grades 4-6. (Also available in Spanish.)
- Encourage a student in your life to enter the K-12 National Chemistry Week 2016 Illustrated Poem Contest.
- Get more educational resources.
- Connect with other chemistry supporters on Facebook.
How will you be celebrating National Chemistry Week? Share your stories in the comments below!