Nano Letters and ACS Publications are excited to announce the inaugural Nano Letters Seed Grants competition for the best research proposal ideas from students globally. This opportunity is only open to later-stage graduate students (e.g., third year and beyond) who will be awarded US $2,500 to carry out the proposed work. The proposal must build on current expertise and should be high-risk, high-reward. Both fundamental and translational nanoscience proposals are welcome.
Update: The 2022 winners have been announced!
Meet the 2022 Nano Letters Seed Grants Winners
Proposal Overview and Evaluation
The Seed Grants proposal is limited to two pages in length and must include a title, research aims, proposed work, figures, references, and a short budget justification. A one-page CV is also required.
Proposals will be evaluated by Nano Letters Associate Editors in three equally-weighted categories:
- Significance: Does the proposal address a significant problem or critical barrier to progress?
- Innovation and Impact: Does the proposal present a creative, “out-of-the-box” scientific vision and solution and will the results have a positive impact on the scientific community?
- Synergy with the Nano Letters mission
Regions & Deadlines
There will be a total of four awards, each highlighting a different region around the world. Each region has a separate submission form, which can be accessed by clicking the respective links below.
- North America [April 1 – May 1, 2022]
- East Asia [June 1 – July 1, 2022]
- Europe, Australia, and New Zealand [August 1 – September 1, 2022]
- South/Central America, South Asia, Africa [October 1 – November 1, 2022]
Note: Submission sites will only be open during the dates listed above.
Awardees will be notified after the submission deadline of the different regions. In addition to the honorarium, awardees will be asked to write a Viewpoint and speak at an upcoming Nano Letters symposium.
To access the appropriate submission form, please click on the links above which will be open during the relevant submission window.
If you have specific questions, please send them to Questions About Nano Letters Seed Grants.